Monday, May 19, 2008

The Case Against Stairs

I hate stairs. Funny talk from a man who's building a two-story house with a finished basement, but the land dictated that choice. I don't like climbing stairs, and I really don't like wiring around them.

Not only do stairs create a gaping hole in the middle of the house that you have to route wires around, but they have big, thick structural assemblies that are nearly impossible to send wire through, especially considering that the wire has to be behind wall covering over its entire length.

And wire, in the course of a single circuit, does not always contain itself to one floor, so the electrician, meaning me, has to climb those stairs. A lot. I'm gaining great appreciation for ranch-style architecture.

That said, or vented, I'm very pleased with the design of the house, and I think I'll feel comfortable living there when I eventually do. Even without siding, we get compliments on the house; wait 'til they see it finished.

Of course it won't be truly finished for a long time, but it will look finished from the outside before we go.

No comments: