Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Yeah, Yeah, I Know, It's Winter

Bitterly cold today, with lots of wind. It's hard to keep the house warm (our heating system is not complete yet) and going from the house or the office to the car gets me shivering, but it's my car that's the biggest problem. At over 231,000 miles, it's getting a little old for this weather.

I have to allow extra time and gas to warm the car up in the morning or the power steering and brake pump won't work, which leaves me unable to turn or stop, a wonderful bit of GM engineering. Frankly, if I had a choice, I think I would like to be able to steer when the brakes go out or stop when the steering goes out. But I don't have an engineering degree, so what do I know?

This cold wave will be a short one. Tonight will be in the single digits (for those of you not used to the expression, that means it will be below ten degrees Fahrenheit), teens tomorrow, and back to daytimes in the thirties and nights in the twenties for at least a week.

That means reasonable temperatures, and apparently only a little snow, for New Year's Eve and the Wolfeboro First Night celebration. The Village PLayers are doing a melodrama this year and I want to try to get us a seat at the first show, if we can get there early enough.

Meanwhile, I have to get up and out early tomorrow. The temperature isn't going to climb above ten until after I'm scheduled to leave for work, so my car is going to need a lot of extra warming up. So off to bed with me!

No comments: