Saturday, December 11, 2010

Staying Behind the Weather

The temperatures have been frigid for the last few days, so we're looking forward to some warming tomorrow and Monday. It will give me a chance to get rid of a few chunks of ice that kept me from reeling up our hose today, and pry a few things off the ground before they freeze to it again, in preparation for snow storms which are not yet on the horizon, but must eventually come to New England. The only catch: I have to do the work in the rain. Weather, as you might expect, is not my best friend right now.

Danny's been feeling a little under the weather, and Tom just informed me that he's got a cold as well, but for the most part we're all holding up very nicely, and looking forward to a holiday season at home. Karen's work schedule and my rehearsal schedule make travel pretty much impossible, but we're not so disappointed and we welcome a chance to relax a little.

I recently updated my Facebook bio, realizing that I still referred to myself as working at the Passport Center. Instead I described myself as "A juggler whose unfinished house, job search, theatrical projects, creative projects, and family projects are always up in the air." When I'm working out my schedule for the week, I sometimes think, "how could I have been crazy enough to take on directing a play at a time like this?" And then I realize that it's always a time like this.

And, of course, when I'm at the theater, watching the actors in my cast working so hard and surprising me so often and making me laugh at jokes I've already heard because they just made them funnier, then I know full well why I'm there no matter how difficult it is to find the time. It's love, pure and simple. My latest cast is no exception, and I expect that the three performances at the end of this whirlwind rehearsal process will be a fantastic way to end the year.

This blog entry will end with less spectacle, as I have to go help Karen in with some groceries.

No comments: