Monday, September 05, 2011

I Love You, Tomorrow

Tomorrow is the first day of the school year for Daniel and William. I can hardly contain my enthusiasm. I love my children, but thirteen weeks of having them at home has made it very difficult to get anything done, and this is one time in my life where I really need to get things done.

Of course, I'm not looking forward to getting up at 6:30 every weekday morning, something I have only had to do a few times all summer (after I finished at Measured Progress, for which I had to rise at 5:15). But it's a small price to pay for the extra time.

Tomorrow is also one of Karen's days off this week. For two consecutive days, I have a day at hone with my wife without the kids at home. Now there's something to celebrate!

Tomorrow is also the day that we cut off out landline phone service. Aside from being expensive, it wasn't of very high quality. In the past two weeks we've been calling out exclusively on our cell phones using the house's wireless Internet connection. The calls are clearer than with the directly-connected Vonage device, and the phone itself is of better quality, and with better range in the house than our cordless phones have been.

Also, in testing out the concept of only using our cell phones we've discovered something else: hardly anyone calls us on the phone. A lot of our communication is by email.

Tomorrow we also take a couple of big steps in the process of changing banks. This is a lot more work than getting rid of a telephone number, with all of the automatic payments that are linked to our old accounts. But we just couldn't afford our bank's ever-increasing fees (which went with ever-decreasing customer service), and so we've joined a credit union.

Yep, lots of changes in the Brooks house starting tomorrow, and I'm ready for it. Bet your bottom dollar!

No comments: