Thursday, May 07, 2015

In Case You Missed Spring

We seem to have jumped from early Spring weather straight to early Summer weather without having experienced the lovely mid-Spring weather. It's a little disconcerting, because most of the other signs of mid-Spring are still here: the leaves haven't really come out yet, and the lakes are still too cold for all but the heartiest swimmers, to name just two.

But the temperatures have been hitting the eighties recently, which may not seem like anything to my California friends and family, but it's something of a sudden shock on the heels of days in the fifties.

I haven't even been able to get everyone in front of the camera to update the picture on the site, and it's annoying to look at it every morning and still see everyone in Winter gear. And who IS that bearded man on the left frame? That will get changed soon, though.

Spring vacation is behind us, and Summer vacation is looming a mere six weeks away. I'm already scrambling to schedule swimming lessons and figure out how I'm going to keep the boys out of my hair for ten weeks without just planting them in front of computer screens and game consoles.

I know that this wave of hot air will abate a little before the official start of Summer, but with the thermometer on the back porch reading over 90 (because it's in the sun, I know), it's really hard not to feel that Summer is coming upon me like a speeding train.

And I don't have the luxury of jumping off the track. I guess I'd better get running!

No comments: