Monday, September 07, 2015

Countdown To Camping

In just a few days, we're going to an annual camping event near our home, with our fellow trailer campers. Except that, up to this point, we haven't had a trailer to bring along. But this time we are determined to make it happen.

We're so close! I little wiring, some door hardware, a few extra screws here and there, and we have a trailer. But there is one hang-up: we don't have a tongue.

Well, we do, but it's hidden under the front of the trailer, and we have to extend it. And getting the extension fabricated has turned out to be a bigger deal than we thought. It's not terribly expensive. It just seems to be really hard to find someone with access to the right piece of steel who will actually get back to us about doing it. We keep thinking we have leads, and they don't pan out.

This time, though, I think we've got it. A good friend of mine from the theater has a drill press, and I have several places I can look for the steel stock. If I have to drive all over New Hampshire tomorrow, I'm going to get that piece of steel. (Does that make me a steel-driving man? Never mind.)

Once I have that in hand and get the holes drilled, it's just a matter of sliding it into place and installing four bolts and some washers, and then we can tow the trailer.

If I don't get it, we'll never hear the end of it, and I'll be sleeping in a tent. Again.

No comments: