Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sorry About This

I have to apologize for a couple of things. First, I haven't updated the pictures on the site for a few days. In addition to adding a new feature, I am in the process of tranferring the site to a new host, to save money and also add more space for a future video gallery. And also to get a hosting company with 24/7 customer support.

Which brings me to the other thing I need to apologize for: if anyone has tried to send me email this weekend, I have been unable to get it, and it's possible it got bounced back to you. No, I have not disappeared, but my mail accounts have, and I can't contact customer support until tomorrow. If you are still having trouble, try my gmail address, gordonbrooks57 at gmail.com, which always works.

This transition to another host may take the site offline next weekend as the domain name registrations are transferred and the DNS servers catch up to the change. Just keep trying.

The new host is 1&1 (1and1.com) and I am impressed with how much more you get for the money. Right now it's about $69 a year for hosting and almost $30 for registration of TheBrooksBunch.com and GSBrooks.com. 1&1 charges about $60 year for hosting with 240 times as much space, and throws in the domain names for free. I like saving money and getting more.

Once everything is in place, you shouldn't notice any difference right away: same email addrresses, same Web site address, and the same site content, until I get around to changing it.

Meanwhile, we are plugging away on the house. I have my electrical permit and I'm buying supplies tomorrow. I was going to do that today., but I didn't feel like going out in the snow and there was plenty of other work, including (wouldn't you know it) snow removal. The plumber can call for inspection on the under-slab pipes now, and the well has been drilled (225 feet, 6 gpm) so the septic contractor can call for inspection as well.

And I need to get to bed in preparation for a busy day tomorrow. Work, of course, which doesn't change much (although we are at least busy now and I like that), but William has basketball practice after work, and I have to stop on the way to buy materials. And tomorrow night I promised myself I'd install the locks on the exterior house doors. And since I've been moving lumber and lifting 50-pound bags of salt and 60-pound bags of sand, I think a good night's sleep is in order.

What a concept.

No comments: