Saturday, August 02, 2008

Adventure

Yesterday we had a power outage caused by a tree snapping and falling across the power lines (and the phone lines and the cable lines). Thomas actually heard the tree fall and the transformer blow. We were out for about four hours; it's easier to fix the power lines when someone can actually tell you where they are broken. We had a lot of time on our hands, and so while the boys played at the beach and in town at the park, I shot a lot of video, and made it into a short movie which I have posted on YouTube (see the YouTube link below). I also posted some of the stills on our Picasa page, although as I write this they don't have captions. Perhaps tomorrow morning.

Tonight I had a date with my wife. We went to dinner and to see the Village Players production of "On Golden Pond." Any night with Karen is special, but seeing my old stage-mates at work made it doubly so. We may be staying around long enough for me to be in the fall musical, "Oklahoma," if I can work in the rehearsal schedule as we prepare to switch houses and all. Assuming I get a part (although there usually aren't enough men auditioning, so there's a good chance there will be something I can do).

You might think I'm crazy taking on a play with all that I have going on, but once I'm figured out how to balance the rehearsal schedule against Karen's work schedule (and now Tom's), doing a play is actually fairly low-impact for what I get out of it.

Meanwhile, I am coming very close to finishing the rough electrical at the house, just a few days now before I can call for inspection. Then, I hope, things will go like gangbusters. Once the siding is done, the rest of the work takes place in the house and is fairly immune to the problems of weather that have been plaguing this project almost from the start.

But I shouldn't complain; others have faired much worse. Last week the area was hit by a tornado and many lost all or part of their houses, and one woman died. We're just behind schedule, that's all.

We can live with that.

No comments: