Monday, October 13, 2008

Happy Birthday William!

William turned eight today. I can hardly believe it. Eight years since I looked into those deep blue eyes that I just knew would turn out brown just like his mother's. Eight years since I watched him trying to take it all in. Eight years since I left him and Karen at the hospital to make sure that all was well with Grandma Pat and Thomas, and noticed on the way home for the first time that there was a full moon. And realized that it was Friday the 13th. Since then, I think, I have considered Friday the 13th to be an exceptionally lucky day.

To celebrate, we pulled William and Daniel out of school just a bit early (they were originally supposed to have the day off for Columbus...uh Discovery Day, but now we have a day in November called Energy Day instead and, well, it's a very long story), had dinner at Hart's Turkey Farm and played for a couple of hours at Funspot.

William got a board game called Othello from Thomas (which he actually got last night so that he and Thomas could play the game; Tom works most nights), an Air Hog radio controlled helicopter from Daniel, and a digital camera from us. William's been using our cameras and taking wonderful pictures, so we decided he needed one of his own. I hope to be posting a lot of them to the Web site from now on (a picture of Karen,. in fact, is tomorrow's daily picture).

Daniel and William fell asleep on the way home from Funspot, after declaring it his "best birthday ever." He and Daniel are now upstairs dreaming while the adults in the house try to wind down for the night. Tomorrow it's back to the regular old routine. Except that now it includes an eight-year-old.

I just can't get over it.

No comments: