Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Long Week

A chance to sit down for awhile to blog and update photos (I'm good for the next five days on photos) after a very busy week, made busier by the fact that the boys had the week off school. In addition to the Thanksgiving holiday, the school scheduled parent-teacher conferences on Monday and Tuesday, and decided to make Wednesday a day off (which they have to make up somewhere), ostensibly in order to save energy. I don't know about the school. but I certainly didn't save any energy this week.

After getting working plugs in the house a week ago Friday, I spent time Monday getting overhead light to most of the first floor. It's just bare-bulb sockets until I get the primer up on the ceilings, but it makes a huge difference.

But the main thrust here at home has been clearing out our storage unit and moving its contents into the new house. I expect to finish that in the morning, with Tom's help, as we still have a small refrigerator and a tall bookcase to move, along with a couple of smaller things I can handle myself after Tom goes to work.

Tom's working two jobs now, sometimes on the same day. He doesn't seem to mind, and it sure helps his budget. Keeps him busy, too.

Thursday and Friday were travel days down to New Jersey to visit with family for the holiday. It was a lot of driving (though not too bad because we avoided the Wednesday and Sunday night rushes), but it was a lovely visit and well worth the trip.

We went to a couple of craft events in town today with Danny and William, a craft sale a the high school, and a craft-making celebration at the Children's Center, where the boys made several different holiday craft projects, some of which I can't tell you about because they're surprises!

Monday the kids will be back in school. so I'll have more time to get things done. It will be raining Monday, so I plan a lot of indoor electrical work and some research (I have to find a fire-retardant vapor barrier for the top floor ceiling; I know who makes it, I just can't find someone to sell it to me).

Tuesday I'm expecting sunshine, which makes it a perfect day to assemble my temporary stairs. And Wednesday we get propane installed and delivered for the one propane heater in the house so far. Also on the list for this week is taping the under-stair area in the basement and cutting into the siding for mounting electrical equipment (outlets and a porch light). That one makes me nervous; I just got the siding finished a few weeks ago and I don't want to mess it up. A relatively short list of things to do and then we can start moving in. I can hardly wait.

No comments: