Wednesday, May 07, 2014

My Scout

Danny attended a two-night camping event at the local Boy Scout camp over the weekend. I was a little skeptical at first—Danny doesn't make life easy for adult leaders sometimes, and Karen and I were both tied up and couldn't stay overnight. But Danny did great.

He took part in all the activities, and impressed one of the adult leaders with his knowledge of which plants in the wild are edible and which are not. He helped the older Scouts build a shelter, and took part in a first-aid training exercise. And he came back dirty, smokey, and happy.

I went to check in on him after the first night. I arrived later than I expected, and was told that they were doing various activities at the top of the hill. So I went up to see. Very steep hill. I was wheezing and my heart was threatening to break out of my chest by the time I got to the top, and my knees were screaming at me all the way back down. But it as worth it to see how much fun Danny was having.

Not to self: get more exercise.

Which is what Karen and I found some time to do yesterday, since Spring has finally decided to come to New Hampshire. We took a nice, long walk, followed by a trip to the grocery store to get some fixings for lunch. We opted for that instead of eating out just to lessen the impact on the budget, but the result was, thanks to my wife's creativity in the kitchen, something far better than we could have gotten out: pizza burgers. Ground beef patties with mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, marinara, and onions mixed in, topped with marinara and served on a cheese roll. Heavenly!

Unfortunately for us, Karen doesn't get to spend much time in the kitchen, and Tom works nights most of the time, too, so we have to settle for my competent but not particularly inspired cooking. Fortunately for us, Karen made up enough pizza burger patties for two meals, so the boys get to experience it, too.

And speaking of Karen' unfortunate schedule, I have to help her get ready for another night shift.

No comments: