Thursday, January 21, 2016

Winterish

The temperatures have gotten quite cold, and the wind has made the whole process of waiting for the bus in the morning a bit miserable. So, it's January in New Hampshire, and to be expected.

What's not to be expected is the way that the snow keeps missing us. We've only had three storms of any substance this season, dropping a total of less than 15 inches of accumulation. Good news for me and my broken snowblower, not so good for the ski resorts.

Even worse is the prediction for above-freezing weather next week, the last week of January. I don't know if all of this means a short winter or a late winter, but for now I'm enjoying the lower heating bill (made even lower by a drop in propane prices), and a break from shoveling the white stuff.

Neither of my boys is involved in any winter sports this year, so they aren't complaining about the better weather, and it's made Tom's commute, now all the way to Dover (more than 30 miles each way) a lot less harrowing.

Still, it feels odd not to have piles of snow in the front yard that are taller than I am this late in the season. Not that it hasn't happened since we moved to the Lakes Region, but it hasn't happened since we moved into this particular house.

But maybe I shouldn't say anything. I mean, I don't believe in jinxes, but....

At least I don't think I believe in jinxes.

No comments: