Monday, June 16, 2008

Shifting Gears

I woke up this morning at around 5:00, as usual, because my body is accustomed to getting me up at that hour, despite me telling it in no uncertain terms that I do not, in fact, have to get up and go to work this morning. Of course, I do have to get up and go to work, but not at 5 a.m. and not 40 miles from home. And so I managed to go back to sleep for awhile.

A day to start getting into the swing of things. The electrical work on the new house is the first order of business, but I can't neglect the phone calls that need to be made to get people going on the construction projects I can't or don't have the time to do myself, like siding and insulation and some of the remaining rough carpentry.

The days will be busy, but that's okay with me, because it makes the time go fast, which is fine as long as I am doing the things I need to do to get out to California at the end of the summer.

Reading bedtime stories had been a part of life at the Brooks household since Thomas was six months old. Karen and and take turns reading, depending on schedule, and sometimes the boys get a story from each. But tonight the first bedtime story reader was William, who read a fairly long and difficult book called "Room On the Broom." He did a great job, and Karen and I smiled at each other many times while he was reading.

What a great way to end a night.

No comments: