Sunday, June 08, 2008

Singing

Tonight I played my guitar and sang in front of an audience for the first time in a year. On both occasions, this year and last, I was attending the Village Players mid-year meeting and talent show. It felt good to play in front of people again; I've done very little of that since coming to New Hampshire. I remember that in my younger days, I used to go to the open mic night at a bar in Glendale, California and sing a few songs every week. Kept me a lot sharper on the guitar than I am now, although now I think I'm a better singer and I know a lot more songs. Perhaps I can find the time to sing in public while we're back on the Left Coast.

First I'll need to spend more time playing, though. My fingers are tender from lack of practice, and my chord changes are clumsy. I'm bringing along just one guitar on the trip, a Martin Backpacker, though I will probably buy a cheap practice guitar while in California, which I will then sell before we return. I also plan to have my electronic piano with me, so that I can catch up on my piano playing and give the boys a chance to start learning.

I know I make it sound as though I will have nothing but time in California, as if I will not have to work or look after children. Obviously I will have to work full time, take care of the children, pay bills, wash clothes, and just take care of daily life.. But I wont be taking care of a big, aging house, and I won't be commuting ten hours a week. The time I save is more than enough to brush up on my talents with some daily practice.

Another hot one, actually hotter than yesterday, although it felt a little drier outside. Nothing like the heat we will experience, albeit briefly, in Central California, but a bit of a contrast from last week. It's very much like the days late in February, when the temperature actually climbs above freezing during the day. The constrast is so stark that you feel like breaking out the Hawaiian shirts.

The boys, including Thomas, got to spend some time down at the beach today. I had too many things to take care of before the show, but I'll get my chances before the summer is out.

And now off to prepare myself for another of the very few days I have left at NPC. Ten more hours of commuting to go. Hooray!

No comments: