Sunday, March 23, 2014

Coming Full Circle

Last night I attended a performance of a play called Dearly Departed, performed by the Pittsfield Players at the Scenic Theater. It wasn't the first time I'd seen the play; in fact, the first time was eight years ago about this time of the year, and it had a profound effect on my life.

In 2006, the play was performed at the Village Players. I had been toying around with the idea of trying my hand at stage acting ever since I'd seen a casting notice for The Sound Of Music in the summer of 2005. I didn't audition for that play, because our house went under contract and I thought that I wouldn't have time to rehearse because we would have to be moving to another house.

As it turns out, the deal fell through. When I went to see The Sound Of Music, I enjoyed it very much, but I found myself thinking: "I could do that."

And then, the following Spring, I saw Dearly Departed. It's hilarious, and full of heart, and I said to myself: "I have to do that." And so, the next day, I auditioned for a play called That Darn Plot, and I got cast. And my fate was sealed.

What made last night's performance even more interesting was that one of the directors was the same director who had put the play on eight years ago (and the other had appeared in that production). One of the actors was even the same, playing the same role.

So, in a way, I spend a couple of hours going back in time. And loving every minute of it.

No comments: