Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pinewood Derby Prep Starts

It wasn't the only thing that happened today, but the rest of the day was pretty normal—writing, cleaning house, working on video stuff. But the deadline for the Pinewood Derby looms larger than any of those.

Today we cut the body of the car, which is always the part I dread because, since the only woodwork I do it related to building a house, with my very limited carpentry skills, and so I lack even the proper saw to cut a shape out of a small block of wood.

In the past we have struggled with various options, and the results have been less than stellar. They were also, all of them, very time-consuming. This year we compromised with a wedge-shaped car, since I could cut the wedge out with my chop saw. Kind of. I had to drill a hole in the waste portion and attach the car body to scrap wood to make the cut. The chop saw couldn't make the entire cut, so there's a V-shape at the top of the car. Danny thought it looked cool, so he sanded it until it was smooth and kept it in the design. He'd done most of the sanding.

Tomorrow, we add a fin at the top and move on to painting. Now that the cutting is done, the rest is a walk in the park.

No comments: