Sunday, October 28, 2007

Wheel Deals

It’s a crisp day, much more like what we’re used to for this time of the year, and in fact it’s supposed to freeze tonight for the first time since last spring.

I’m out at the Cresscent Lake school parking lot, where I’ve brought Danny and William to ride. It’s not exactly what we had planned. I couldn’t find the training wheels for Danny’s bike (which used to be Tom’s), so Danny is riding a Razor scooter today (which also used to be Tom’s). William, on the other hand, is refusing to ride. He says it’s because of the cold, which has never stopped him before, but I suspect it is on account of the fact that I raised his training wheels to where they are supposed to be. He’ll get over it. But not today.

Yesterday I took Thomas out driving. I got more cooperation out of him, although it feels very weird riding in the passenger seat with my son at the wheel. I’d better get used to it, though; I have to go through it twice more in the next twelve years. Yesterday he drove Karen’s car, which he likes more than my van, through rain and darkness, and he did just fine. I came through okay too.

When we arrived home, the power was out, and Danny was very upset about the darkness. We went to McDonald’s in Alton, which had power, for dinner. By the time we got back the power was back on, but everyone was exhausted.

And then came this morning, when my iCal calendar said Daylight Savings Time started. Wrong! Congress changed that in 2005, efeective 2006, and although my computer’s operating system and Apple’s time server both knew about the change, my calendar of US Holidays did not. Neither did Tom’s driving instructor, who arrived an hour late for drive time with Tom. Needless to say, after Karen left for work at about 6:30, I didn’t go back to sleep.

Maybe tonight. Yeah, sure.

No comments: