Monday, August 18, 2008

Keeping Busy, Oh Yeah!

Two crazy days, mostly spent getting ready for a rough electrical inspection that I thought was going to be today (but will actually be on Thursday morning), but also holding a garage sale, looking after children, and, oh yeah, auditioning for a play.

The Village Players is doing "Oklahoma!" this fall, and since I am going to be here instead of in California, I decided to get back on the stage, doing whatever the director thinks I should be doing up there. Probably acting and singing. You know, because it's a musical. Might even be a little dancing, although the director of this play was the choreographer on "The Pajama Game" and I know how hard she had to work just teaching me to do the old soft shoe. So maybe not so much dancing.

Having the inspection later will let me slow down a little and be more careful, although I'm planning to have it all pretty much done by tomorrow so that I can move on to other things, including my low-voltage wiring (telephone, cable, data, and such) which I have yet to start.

The garage sale wasn't a huge success, but it really didn't matter because we had it up at the new house and we got a lot of work done while we were there. And the boys managed to sell a few toys, part of an effort to reduce the amount of stuff we have before we try to move. We managed to get rid of a few bulky items as well, and on that score the sale was worth the effort.

We're finally getting a bit a swimming weather after weeks and weeks of rain and relatively low temperatures, so the boys have been in the water several times in the last few days. According to current predictions, they should have a lot of chances to swim before the end of this summer, which will be the last that they have their own private beach. But we'll still have access to the pond, and there are lots of great public beaches on the local lakes.

And now I need to start getting ready for bed, because from head to toe I am one massive ache. I think that this will be the last house I wire, because it just hurts too much. But I am proud to say (before the inspection anyway), that every single wire in this house was pulled and tied together by these very, very tired old hands.

Even if I never want to do it again, I consider it quite an accomplishment.

No comments: