Sunday, June 20, 2010

Almost Officially Summer

Wolfeboro Parks and Recreation had their Summer Kickoff party at Brewster Beach yesterday, and the boys and I were there. Karen, unfortunately, had to work. The boys had a good time playing the the water, and Daniel participated in the sand castle and pudding-eating contests. They both did the sack race and the three-legged race, though in the latter they made the mistake of running together, usually a mistake for brothers.

I spent a lot of time in my folding chair sitting in the shade, not being quite ready for our sudden summer weather and the bright sunshine, but enjoying watching the boys have fun (not to mention the many bikini-clad ladies on the beach).

There were hot dogs and hamburgers and chips available for lunch, and I was happy to find that they had cold Dr. Pepper for me, since I had not had the foresight to get any cold enough to bring along.

Today is, of course, Father's Day, and the way things have worked out, of course, Karen has to work, because that's the way of retail. Sigh.

But we are going to celebrate tomorrow with dinner at one of our favorite local haunts. The boys have promised to give me a gift today by keeping things simple and calm. And I believe every word of it. Right.

I think we are taking another beach trip today (it is summer vacation after all) with friends, but I will try to keep it short as I have several things to do at home and rehearsal tonight. And I promised myself an hour and a half to actually sit down and watch one of my favorite movies: Preston Sturges' Sullivan's Travels. I like to watch it whenever I need to be reminded of the importance of laughter.

But if I want to indulge myself thus, I need to get moving on some house projects that I won't have time for during the week, and so I sign off until next time.

No comments: