Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Spectacular End To a Nice Weekend

As I'm writing this, there is a thunderstorm going on. Since thunderstorms in our little corner of New Hampshire so often bring power outages, I'll keep this entry short to make sure I get it in. But the wet weather held off nicely for our holiday weekend, which had the rare and wonderful bonus of Karen having most of it at home with us.

The weekend included kayaking, swimming, some fun food (including homemade cinnamon rolls by Tom), and some gardening. There was even some singing and guitar playing by the fire in the front yard.

One of the kayak trips included just me and Daniel. We went all the way from our house (we're not on the pond, but our next door neighbor has graciously given us permission to launch from his shoreline), to the north end of the pond, which is about three-quarters of a mile in each direction. Danny was tuckered out by the end of the ride, but he pressed on until we got home. It's good to see how well he's getting along with the kayak; his steering is still a bit shaky, but he gets where he's going.

There are only a few weeks left of school, and only a few weeks left of my scanning job (which often coincides with the school calendar, conveniently, since there's no way we could afford full-time daycare on what I make there). Starting mid-June we'll be plunging into our Summer routine, with fun trips whenever Karen gets time off, home activities the rest of the time, and as much income-producing work as I can squeeze into the gaps.

It should be an interesting Summer. I'll do my best to give you a ringside seat.

No comments: