Saturday, February 16, 2013

Just Another Weekend

This was a pretty typical winter Saturday at the Brooks Bunch. Karen had to work, as is too often the case. The boys had to be pushed to do their chores, but eventually got most of them done. It snowed a little, but also got above freezing so fast that the snow had already melted from Karen's car before she had to leave for work.

The boys and I spent a lot of the afternoon shoveling the snow left from Nemo, which has turned mostly to ice (the hardest part is at the road where the town snow plow leaves us with a nice, hard, icy mound to widen for the cars). Thomas cleared the snow away from my car, which was the last to be attended to because it currently isn't running. It needs a new starter, and I'm ordering a service manual to see if I can do it myself, because although the labor wouldn't amount to too much, the towing to get it to my mechanic would.

I used to do all kinds of repairs on my car, once upon a time before cars got more complex than computers.

Thomas got a call and has a job interview on Monday; we all have our fingers crossed.

And we had clam chowder for dinner. I make a very simple chowder with canned clams that only takes me about 45 minutes to cook, including dicing the potatoes. I also ran a batch of dough through the bread maker so we had a fresh loaf to go with dinner.

All-in-all a pretty typical Saturday. Next Saturday begins the boys' winter vacation, and Karen will be home, which makes it anything but typical. And that's something to look forward to.

No comments: