Sunday, April 10, 2016

Stripped

The latest version of the website is stripped down to its essentials, that is, the daily picture and the preview for this blog. I am working behind the scenes (because you really don't want to see all the mistakes I make along the way), to bring a new version of the site online as soon as can be. It's not much, but at least the background isn't snow. That was driving me crazy.

Actually, the new version probably won't come online all at once. Google is making changes to the site that holds our galleries, as I mentioned before, and I have a lot of work ahead figuring out the best way to let you see old pictures, and pictures that didn't make the front page. And Google might not be the best solution. Sorry, Google.

The new pictures will stay, although I'm trying to come up with something that will only display a new picture if it's actually new, and not from a month or two ago. Fear not, though; those pictures will still be available to view. And, if you miss a picture, you won't have to wait a week or so until I get it into a gallery, for it will be easily accessible further down the page.

Rather than have one picture from the past, and one food picture, and one art picture, I'm just going to add them into a kind of stream (like photo streams in Flickr, kind of, or maybe a little like Pinterest), So that we can just post something new as we have it and not have to worry about archiving the older picture right away.

This is the plan, of course. It's hostage to both my time and my programming skills, and I don't have a vast surplus of either one. On the other hand, when I do get a chance to sit down and work on the site, I enjoy it, both for the satisfaction of setting up a nice hub of family communication and memories, and as an intellectual challenge.

Back to blogging about the family and not the site next time. Keep watching!

No comments: