Sunday, November 13, 2016

Another Openin', Another Show

Just wrapped up the first weekend of Kiss Me Kate at the Village Players, and it was wonderful. The cast, the stage crew, the costumers, the musicians, and the directors all put together a magnificent show, full of energy and laughs. And I'm exhausted. But I'm happy.

My on-stage role as General Harrison Howell is a short one, with only three scenes and one song (though I have the privilege and singing it with the leading lady, who has an amazing voice), but the music director asked me to add my voice from backstage to four other songs, and so there's a fair bit more running around than I expected. But I enjoy the singing, so it's been worth it.

This is my first appearance on the Village Players stage since the summer of 2013, though I've had my hand in behind the scenes a few times since then. It was good to see that I could step back into acting and singing here and be so comfortable with it. Especially because the line up of shows for next year is very tempting, especially the fall musical, which is set to be The Music Man.

Of course, between the shows and rehearsals, there is real life. We had teacher conferences for Daniel and William, and they were very encouraging. William's culinary arts teacher, especially, had nothing but compliments. Fall is here, of course, and that means wrapping up outdoor projects for the season and preparing for, well, I'm not sure I want to mention what I'm preparing for, but it's surely coming.

The back deck is coming along with help from William, and we've almost completed the process of stowing the trailer for the season. The trees have almost given up all their leaves so we can start the raking. Then it's indoor projects, including fixing up the kitchen downstairs.

So, we won't be bored anytime soon.

No comments: