Friday, December 21, 2007

The First Day

Today was the first day of winter. Just the first day. I emphasize this because we have already had two snowstorms and one ice storm of sufficient severity to seriously hamper commuting. There have already been two days of school called on account of snow. The snow in the front yard is higher than the porch. And today was just the first day of winter.

Ironically, the ten day forecast, covering the first ten days of winter, call for milder temperatures and little snow. In fact, it is supposed to rain on Sunday, with a daytime high near 40. It's all very strange.

Weather notwithstanding, construction of the house continues pretty much unabated. The framing crew is already working on the main floor and are expecting to have the gable wall for the top half-story tomorrow (yes, they work Saturdays, especially when they couldn't work yesterday because we had ten inches or so of snow).

Today I walked through the unfinished main floor and pictured what the rooms will be like. It was very satisfying. I think we're really going to like this house.

On Sunday when no one is working on the house, I'm planning to walk through with an extra copy of the plan in hand and start thinking about my electrical plan, including where phones and data cables are going. I should be pulling wire within two weeks. Things are moving very fast!

Except for me. I'm moving rather slowly after last night, when I was out until 9:30 shoveling snow of the lot and driveway. So I'm going to bed. A busy weekend ahead including holiday preparations, house construction, and more snow removal.

Did I mention that today was just the first day of winter? Really.

No comments: