Friday, January 01, 2010

January Blues

January is not usually a good month for me. Some have been downright disastrous (both the Northridge quake and my father-in-law's death occurred in January), but most are just annoying. This one is starting out with a virus of some sort that yesterday morning went right for my throat and chest. Not enough to keep me away from work (especially because I do not get sick pay), and I muddle through for a trip with Karen and the boys to the First Night festivities in Wolfeboro (which was worth the effort), but by the time I got home last night I was exhausted. I went to bed a little after 10:00 and woke up a little before 10:00 this morning.

I'll take it easy today to help me recover, but I can't play at that game for too long. This is going to be a busy year. I've been reviewing my list of goals for 2010, and they're ambitious. I have a house to finish (and not just finish, but help make into a home), at least one play (and I'm hoping for four, because the entire Village Players line-up is just too good to resist), a landmark birthday celebration to plan for my lovely wife, and a family vacation back to California.

And I would like to get myself back on a real career track. When I connect with so many old workmates on Facebook and remember the kinds of things I used to do for a living, it pains me to think about where I've ended up. We've had some difficult years since we arrived in the Granite State, but we've come through with our family intact, and it's time to turn things around. Onward and upward!

But first I think I need to have a little nap (cough, cough).

No comments: