Saturday, August 28, 2010

Tail End Of a Heat Wave

We were in Fresno and Oakhurst, California, over the past few days, and until this morning it was unbelievably hot. Triple digit hot. But not unbearably hot, because we bore it just fine and even managed to have a lot of fun. Lots of visiting, a trip down memory lane (in an air-conditioned car) as I showed the boys some of my old haunts around the mountains.

We settled around Bass Lake in the middle of Thursday after discovering that it was about fifteen degrees cooler there. Karen and the boys went swimming, and William got to slide, several times, down the stone waterfall at the west end of the lake. There are pictures and video coming, but I don't have the tools to do it from here, so they'll have to wait until I get back to New Hampshire.

Friday was a visiting day in Fresno, with lots of catching up and swapping of stories. And more swimming for the boys in the pool. The heat broke this morning, just in time for our trip back down south.

It's been an interesting trip for me. I've remembered a lot, and I've also seen a lot of changes. And, to tell the truth, I've become more than a little homesick. But I'll drag myself onto a plane at the end of it all and get back into the routine. But I'll be mentally preparing for my return to the West Coast every day.

No comments: