Sunday, August 16, 2015

Endless Summer? Luckily, No.

Summer vacation is coming to a close, and the clock is ticking. Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to sending William and Daniel back to school and actually getting some work done, but there is a lot to do before the end of the summer.

For one thing, Karen wants a new back deck for her birthday, which is precisely two weeks from today. Problem is, although I have these lovely four-foot holes in the ground with concrete forms in them, I can't actually add concrete to them until I get the inspector's okay. And, in our town, the building inspector is part-time, and often not in the office during his infrequent office hours.

So once I do get the go-ahead, I really have to go ahead. Concrete, posts, beams, joists, rails, decking, stair stringers. Yikes! It's going to be a busy couple of weeks.

And not just because of the deck. Although school doesn't start until September 1st, school sports, at least at the high school level, starts tomorrow. I think. I mean, it starts tomorrow, but I don't know if William, as a freshman soccer player, starts tomorrow. The whole process is kind of a minimum information puzzle. And I have no idea about Danny, who signed up for cross-country.

And there is a lot of paperwork to do before the kids return to school. Danny is going into Team Vista at the middle school, following in William's footsteps. The program was great for William, with lots of physical activity and team building. I hope Danny will get as much out of it.

But wait, there's more! As I said in an earlier post, Karen wants to have the trailer ready to sleep in for 11th of September. She's making good progress on the shell, but I still need to figure out the trailer tongue (which needs to be extended) and the wiring (which should actually be pretty easy).

And just because I don't have enough to do already, I auditioned tonight for the Village Players' fall musical, Spamalot, sort of based on the movies Monty Python and the Holy Grail and The Life of Bryan. I have no idea if I got a part—there was a lot of great competition—but if I did, rehearsals start on Sunday with the read-through.

So, yeah, there are one or two things going on here in New Hampshire. But it's all the good stuff.

No comments: