Monday, January 14, 2008

I Hate It When I'm Right

As I predicted in my last entry, predictions for the snowfall fell short, by about four inches. There is a foot of snow sitting on our picnic table as proof. The Seacoast, where I work, got somewhat less. How much less is hard to tell because it was windy enough to blow the snow off the tops of cars, but there was snow up to my calves while I was clearing off my van at the end of the work day.

Karen and the boys were home and spent a good deal of the day shoveling. There is still a good deal of digging out to do, especially up at the new house, where we have to clear a parking spot for the drilling rig that's due Wednesday. WInter construction is so exciting.

I put snow removal way up the list of time-wasting activities, even above video games, which at least provide entertainment for the time spent. Snow removal provides muscle aches and a colorful vocabulary, especially when one is digging out from the third major storm in about a month.

Yesterday was spent moving long pieces of lumber and digging tarps out from under the ice so that we could cover the stacks of lumber to protect them from the coming storm. We also took one of the tarps and covered the open leach field so that, perhaps, we might have an easier time uncovering it when it finally comes time for the state to inspect it. We still need the well and a bit of plumbing work before that happens, but it should be soon.

William missed out on basketball practive today because of the storm, but there's another practice on Thursday. I wish we had a good place for him to practice, but everything is covered with snow. Maybe he can at least get in a little dribbling practice on the floor when we pour the slab in the new house. Just a thought.

I will not be appearing on the stage this spring with the Village.Players, which I regret, but there's just no way to keep up with the rehearsal schedule and do the work on the house, not to mention the conflicts with Karen's work schedule, which caused problems on "Pajama Game." It's okay, though. There will be other plays in the future. I've caught the bug and I have no intention of taking any kind of cure.

But from now until the summer, my focus is on the new house. Building, decorating, and moving in. Maybe we'll be lucky enough to concentrate our energy on that.

Instead of snow removal.

No comments: