Saturday, February 09, 2008

BrooksBunch Facelift, In Progress

Now that we're on the new server, I've started making some changes. Have you noticed that, when you put your cursor over the latest picture or the house status picture that there is a hot spot there? Click on it to get a bigger verion of the picture in a new window. The current version of the site is not big on elegant design; it's intended for easy addition of raw content, from old blog archives to additional picture and art galleries, to movies and full-resolution pictures for downloading. The new hosting company has given me 120 gigabytes of space. Not all of it is for TheBrooksBunch.com (I'm planning other sites as well), but I can probably count on at least 40 gigbytes, which is half as big as my entire Mac Mini hard drive!

That means that I can put up hours of home movies and thousands of pictures from our collection that you will be able to view and download. I have finally caved in to the fact that nearly everyone who now views this site has a high-speed connection. Everyone except me, that is. Ironically, I have to copy the site to my laptop and use the wireless connection at the library to upload the content. And with our plans of spending a year in California starting this summer, I don't know if we'll be hooking it up in the new house before we go. We'll see.

Right now I'm more interested in getting the new house done than in hooking it up for the Internet. Weather has not been kind to us, delaying two different inspections and making it impossible for Tom and me to move stacks of (currently frozen) lumber out of the way so that a trench can be dug for the water pipe. And I think we're going to have to spend some of our budget on snow removal. It's getting to be just too much to do by hand.

Ah yes, snow. We're getting buried again, just coming out of a seven-inch storm and expecting another four inches tonight. And the weather mystics are vacillating over the propects for the coming week. One night they will predict a solid week of snow, and the next the forecast will show a week with no precipitation. Unfortunately, none of these predictions indicates any temperatures above freezing, much less a good snow-eating rainstorm. By the way, did Puxatawny Phil see his shadow last Saturday? I forgot to check.

Now, one caveat about this brave new Web site world: I am building one house and selling another, while working and looking after children. So for the time being, about the best you can expect is that I will keep up on the the daily pictures, write in my blog a couple of times a week, and occasionally find something else to add to the site, and perhaps even find the time to put in a link so you can actually find it. Consider it an adventure.

Adventure. There's a concept I'm all too familiar with.

No comments: