Monday, June 30, 2008

Wetness

More rain yesterday. More on the way today. It really slows me down, not only because I don't have a ready source of light to work by, but because the boys end up spending more time inside and driving each other--and me--crazy.

The afternoon had some sunshine, but by the time I got the boys into swimsuits and got everyone to go down to the beach, and got myself back up to the house to continue working, the sky darkened, the thunder rolled, and the boys had to get out of the water. I got them in for showers, and settled down for dinner. The sky just kept getting darker and the rain started falling harder. The television reception went out (we have satellite) and the lights flickered a couple of times. By 6:30 there was no chance I was going to work any more on the house, even though in good weather I can count on good light until about 7:30. Sigh.

On top of that, we have a little--well, big actually--erosion problem. It wouldn't have been a problem had we had a little time between the time our back yard was filled and the first really heavy rain, because we could have sprouted some nice erision-resistant plants. But the heavy rains started a couple of days after, and they've been coming every two or three days since. I'm ready to break out the sandbags. Sigh!

It's not all bad news. Of the 33 circuits I had to pull for this house, I've only got seven left and four of those are for only one device. Of course, they are the ones that involve conduit, or big wires, or some other challenge, and there are still a lot of little things to button up, but I'm making real progress. Enough progress? I don't know, but it's not the end of the world if this all takes a little longer than expected. We can still make it work.

No comments: