Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Aargh!

I can't even begin to tell you what's going on here without being confusing, depressing, or both, and I don't like either option on this Web site. Don't look for much on house updates once the insulation is in, expect for the occasional update on my own work; we hit a snag with siding, which is a long story and unlikely to have a happy ending for anyone. We'll solve the problem, but it will take even more time.

Transportation is something of a nightmare, with three drivers sharing two cars. Only two are working regular jobs, but the third (that's me) still needs wheels to pick up kids after school, and so I end up driving either Tom or Karen to and from work most days. And whichever one I take, it takes about two hours out of my day.

Fortunately, I expect a third car, a Jeep, to be available for Tom within a week or so. Which is good, because I need to get back to gainful employment, since I'm not contributing enough to the house construction to justify the lost wages. There are things I can do here and there on electrical work even before the drywall goes up, but nothing that will substantially speed up the completion of the house, and nothing I can't just do on my days off.

William and Daniel are settling into school, which is about the only part of our family life that even pretends to be routine. Karen's hours are crazy as always, I have a fairly intense rehearsal schedule coming up (although I'm playing a small role in Oklahoma! and I can probably miss a night here and there without doing any damage), and Thomas works evenings. I spend almost as much time driving as I did when I was working at NPC. Trying not to go back to that; it's just too far away.

Anyway, it's time for me to sit down and do the annual paperwork for school. Health cards, permission slips, volunteer forms, acknowledgments of receipt of the various and sundry rules and regulations. Apparently it is just not possible for anything to be straightforward or simple anymore. Good night.

No comments: