Sunday, September 28, 2008

The House, As Usual

The weather, having giving us a break for so long, is being nasty again. It's raining today, it rained yesterday, and rain is predicted until Wednesday, when we get a one-day break followed by another three or four days of rain. We're trying to get some of our drywall delivered during the short break in the rain so that we can get started on the basement.

Affordable siding options still elude us, but we are hot on the trail. Other than that it's just all the little things that need to be done to get us into the new house and out of this one.

I'm learning much more than I want to about carpentry; we can't afford to have anyone square up the exterior doors or hang the interior doors, so I get elected. I also have to put up missing straps and nailers for the drywall and modify and install a door frame that was never finished.

When we finally get to move into the house, it won't really be finished. I expect we'll have a liveable basement and first floor, but the top floor will have to wait. And even when we can live on all three floors, there will be a lot of work to do fixing problems. A lot of those we paid to build this house let us down in one way or another.

The electrical work, at least, seems to be first-rate, for which I will be forever grateful to my brother, who has been my electrician's help desk for these many months while I struggled through this.

There are other things going on at the Brooks household, of course, but it's the house that dominates our thoughts and activities these days. Perhaps soon it will be over, at least to the point where I can write about more interesting things in this blog.

No comments: