Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Duck, Here Comes Another Year!

I have a rare extra day off from work, which I owe to Gerald Ford, who is being honored in death by the closure of federal facilities, including the National Passport Center.

But I have to admit that I have not been spending much time today thinking about the late President; the beginning of the year always seems to bring a lot of extra little jobs with it. Today they include mounting the plow on the pickup truck (finally), and trying to replace to bathroom heater that I installed nine years ago. That's right, nine years. I can't believe it either.

The heater is a Nutone that mounts on the ceiling. A big coil around the perimeter glows bright orange while a fan circulates the heat throughout the bathroom. At least it used to, but it stopped working several weeks ago. Which is something of a problem because, as I have recently found out, Nutone doesn't make this type of heater anymore. Oh, they make heaters with fans, but they all mount in the ceiling instead of on it. Which means that I have to pull the wiring out the the existing box, cut a hole in the ceiling, get up into the attic and wire a new, recessed heater. In my copious free time.

This is going to be an interesting and unpredictable year. Karen will be in her brand-new Lowe's store in Concord by the end of the month. Thomas turns 17 and will be getting his driver's license. I will be back on the Village Players stage a couple of time, and trying to come up with some kind of career move to get me out of NPC, which isn't a horrible job--most of the time--but it is a textbook dead-end.

Karen and Tom should be adding their voice to the site soon; I have set up a blog for Karen, and will be setting one up for Tom sometime today. So if their blogs are devoid of entries, email them. Not me.

And aside from that, I don't know. We seem to be destined to hang onto our house for while, so we'll stay put and make the best of it. But the year will unfold as it does, and as it does I hope you will follow it on TheBrooksBunch.com.

No comments: